Situated on the west side of the Versailles Palace, the gardens cover over 800 hectares of land. The entire garden is arranged in the French Garden style administered by Andre Le Notre. The land and creation of the gardens were purchased and ordered by Louis XIII in 1632. Renovations, additions, and maintenance continued on the gardens through the reign of Louis XVI in 1775. After the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Age, the gardens underwent a restoration in 1817 with the return of the Bourbons and Louis XVIII.
The gardens hold numerous bosquets (a formal planting of at least five trees of the same species, in straight line or linear formation), fountains, a grotto of statues, and a labyrinth.